How long does it take me to drive to Akaroa?
- From Christchurch allow an hour and half. The road is good, a bit windy but wide.
What are the cooking facilities like?
- Kitchen fully equipped: cooking gas facilities and electric stove
- Pan, pot...
Is kayaking suitable for children?
- Yes it is, we arrange the trip depending on the aptitude of each clients’ ability.
- We have safe stable double kayaks, so one adult would go with a child.
- No experience is necessary
Can I join the Full Scenic Nature Safari or the Sea-kayaking safari if I come on a shuttle?
- Yes you can as we are quite use to work with them.
- Although we are always happy to spend more time enjoying the bay and the penguins, we make sure that you would be back on time.
Where can I leave my car?
- Akaroa is a really safe village so you can leave your vehicle next to our office or if you prefer at our property just up out of Akaroa where there is enough space to park your vehicle.
Can I drive myself to where the penguins are?
- You have to know that the road to the bay is a steep gravel road but you can drive yourself if you have a 4WD vehicle.
How many penguins will we be able to see?
- If we operate on any day for the evening penguin tours it is because penguins are present at the bay. When the penguins are not here we do not operate that option. There are periods of the year when there are fewer penguins than others. There are 1304 breeding pairs at the bay for 91Ha of habitat so we cannot give you a number of penguins that you will see but we can tell you that if we operate the evening tour option you will see penguins.
- During the breeding and moulting season we do run daytime nature safaris that will also give you the opportunity to see penguins as we monitor nesting sites. We also do run these options when the penguins are not in the bay as the tour is very scenic and there is other wildlife to see. There is a six week period between mid February and first week of April when penguins are unlikely to be seen in the bay.
I know the Evening penguin safari departure changes due to the sunset but what is the approximate departure?
- Those are rough estimate as we have to adjust the departure times due to the sunset. We would appreciate you getting in touch closer to the date or come and see us at our booking office in Akaroa to find out the exact departure time of your penguin safari.
Cruise ship day in Akaroa. Will I have time to get back on board of the cruise ship?
||7.30 - 7.00pm
||3.30 - 4.00pm
||4.00 - 4.30pm
||4.30 - 6.00pm
||6.00 - 7.00pm
||7.00 - 7.30pm
- Yes you will have plenty of time to get back in Akaroa and get the last tender to go back on board of the cruise ship. Our latest tours come back between 4.00 and 4.30pm at the end of Akaroa main wharf where the tenders are docking. You might even want to go for another walk around Akaroa and do some more shopping ^-^
Early bird kayaking for cruise ship passengers?
- Unfortunately cruise ship passengers disembark the tenders too late to catch up with our early bird kayak. We must leave Akaroa by 8am on the dot to meet up with people staying in Pohatu bay that are on the Banks Peninsula Track or are on the Pohatu package tour. We don't want to hold up the track walkers or the Pohatu package tour so we have to be in the water by 9am for them, this is why the early bird kayak has a limit of 4 people from Akaroa to join them and is a cheaper option.
If I'm on a cruise ship, where can I meet you?
- You will disembark at the end of Akaroa main wharf and one of us will be standing next to a colorful sign with a blue base at the other end. It is a 200 meters walk.
Things to do in Akaroa.
- The beautiful little French town of Akaroa is a must visit for anyone who loves a sea side setting with fabulous cafes and restaurants, peaceful walks and a wide variety of adventure tours with wildlife viewing including the largest colony of Little penguins, the smallest and most endangered sea-dolphin, many species of native birds and cheese and farm visits.
- Just an hour and half drive away from Christchurch over a stunning scenic road you will arrive at this cozy historic village where there is a lot of things to do.
The information center with its friendly staff can help you find any activity that sparks your interest. Whether it is the wide range of free hikes, harbor cruises or the must do Penguin experience with the award winning Eco-tour company, Pohatu Penguins, there is something for all in Akaroa to enjoy.
Come and enjoy the beauty and French touch of Akaroa.