These are scenic 4WD adventures over one of the highest passes on Banks Peninsula including photo stops.
to enable you to experience the spectacular and dramatic scenery from crater rim of ancient Akaroa Volcano to volcanic coastal cliffs and Akaroa heads reserve & Lighthouse. Enjoy the beautiful view over Akaroa Harbour and the endless Pacific Ocean!
Conservation projects for protection of penguins, lizards and insects can be seen as well as the beautiful red beech forest of Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve with Red beech trees over 400 years old and a high diversity of tree ferns.
Great for the keen birdwatcher or photographer.
There are 2 Nature tour options
Full Scenic Nature Safari:
Take the time to properly discover the Wildside of Banks Peninsula and its specific wildlife.
Once you have embarked on our 4WD mini bus just relax and enjoy what nature has to offer.
- Scenic drive to Pohatu Marine Reserve with photo stops en route
- Scenic drive to the Akaroa Head scenic reserve and lighthouse where you will be standing on high cliffs, looking at a giant spyglass and gaze at the endless Pacific Ocean
- You can walk through the beautiful Tutakakahikura Scenic Bush Reserve
- Learning of conservation with penguins and other native wildlife such as lizards and Banks Peninsula Tree Wetas
- Afternoon tea is offered at the bay with tea, coffee and delicious home made muffins, cakes...
- Penguin monitoring during penguin breeding and molting seasons: September to mid February. From early April to end of August penguins come and go every 2 to 3 weeks.
- Great variety of native birds
- Photo stop on demand and on the crater rim of Akaroa extinct volcano
- Visit a working sheep farm
|$95 per person
$65 child under 15 years
This 4 hour tour leaves at 12.00pm in summer and 11.15am over the winter months.
2 hour Nature tour.
This is a great tour for anyone wanting a shorter option to explore the area.
With a 4 wheel drive 9 seater van ride and photo-stops en route you will view Akaroa harbour in its entirety, standing on crater rim at our 700 metre view point, hearing about the history of this beautiful landscape by local guides who have lived here for up to five generations.
Visit Pohatu Bay on the outer coast, panoramic views all the way down, working sheep farm and penguin colony.
This is a chance to get great photos of our friendly pet sheep which you can feed from hand for a real kiwi experience.
Then come with us as we monitor penguin nesting boxes and learn of the conservation work we do in the largest colony of little penguins on mainland New Zealand.
Great opportunity to see penguins and their chicks up close on their nests (Note, penguins are only seen in season: September to mid February. From April over winter, they will come and go every 2 to 3 weeks).
Guides often point out other native birds and wildlife as we go.
Ideal for people on a day trip in Akaroa, giving you the time to also explore our historic town.
|$65 per person
$35 child under 15 years
Please note that this 2 hour tour will only be available on request for the winter months (May to August) and those depending on the penguins presence.
Experience a night right in the middle of the largest Australasian Little Penguin colony on mainland New Zealand! Our cosy Units or authentic colonial Cottage are available to enable you to spend more time at Pohatu/ Flea Bay and free time to relax and explore Pohatu´s many secret places. The accommodation is located within easy walking distance of our beautiful safe sandy beach.